Sunday, October 21, 2007

A bully and a racist


How can it be?

My loving darling, angel-like son. Who- by the way, at this very moment is hand feeding me pretzels, is a bully and a racist! Yes, you heard correct! I am not sure what is going on here but Erik is the class bully at the moment! Breaks my heart that he beats other children up at church and I guess I should feel worse for all whom fall on the receiving end of Erik's behavior. Well, to make matter more complex, today I was (very kindly I may add) informed that Erik could have racist tendencies. He only was getting rough with the "black kids". Our guess is there is a fascination with skin tone, p.s Erik doesn't have much tender loving in him. So that equals allot of "Erik-NO! LOVE, Erik.....NO, LOVE..NICE!!!"So this is our current parenting challenge. Might be face painting the girls up as colored children as a learning tool here soon. I wonder what the Nanny would say about that!

Those are my thoughts for today! Now on to cleaning the Mr. Freeze mess off the floor!

Oh happy day.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erik my love. Maybe he needs some fatherly time. Maybe I should take him on a date, or I know. We need to buy him a video game, one with lots of boxing and fighting...
or,...

Anonymous said...

Oh...I've had similar problems with Selma...when she was about 3...we were standing behind a colored man in the line at the grocery store...and she says "mom, white people are much better than black people, aren't they!?"

Unknown said...

Well, according to what I'm learning in school these days (my full time subject this year is Intercultural Studies) is that stereotypes and prejudice, including racisim is learned behavior. In other words- you can forget about Erik having "racist tendencies", because where would he learn that? Obviously not at home or at daycare (at least not from the adults).
So, that "theory" is basicallyy elliminated. Are there more black kids in his class, to push the odds in their favor? Does he play more with "them" and therefore they are the ones he hits or whatever? There's obviously alot of factors that are involved here, and racisim is not one of them!

I*m sure you guys will figure out something to help his behavior, which is a fase alot of kids go through, as you know. More time with Dad? You can never go wrong there! So, there you have a few of my thoughts on the matter...Parenting is the hardest job on earth! But God's grace is more than enough!!! :-)

- thoughts from a non-parent

My Daily Circus said...

i know his behavior is not learned, but he is almost up to an "emma" level now in his naughtiness! Well, it is a phase and I am not to worried. A few of Erik's teachers are black so go figure??? Tammy