I sit here after a 12 hour day away from my home and kids. If you can picture a pregnant women running a marathon or running period- that would be how I feel. With everything a new job entails, along with pretty much making a completely new life seems to be a bit of a marathon at the moment. So as to my thoughts I have been thinking.........
(Might I add that sharing the following leaves me vulnerable and very open for many of my readers might have very different views concerning the following But I must be true to what God did in my heart and share. May you too be this bold to do so as well)
The week before last I attended a conference for work. It was Willow Creek's Leadership Summit. Given that going in I had agreed to listen and look with a open heart and would "see" what the hype was about. Many people sing the praise of this organization at my church. I can honestly say I am an outsider when it comes to knowing pretty much anything about them-what I had heard was negative. If I will be even more honest I thought slightly that it would not be as "good" as a charismatic/Pentecostal conf. Not sure why but thought I would walk away feeling like I they missed out on the depth? Boy was I wrong.
The church, Willow Creek, and it's well known leader have been known for seeker sensitiveness. And this in most of the circles I have been apart of was a big "no no". The Pentecostal/charismatic world has been and still sometimes has "this is how we are-we are right -take it or realize your wrong" attitude to anyone even new comer. I will always stand for preaching truth,no compromise of the Word and all the gifts that God gives us. I have come to open my mind and my heart to an idea that is much greater than I or any affiliation. Unity with in the church-meaning denominations working together for God's sake-seriously God's sake only.
I listen carefully in the conf. and I gleaned much wisdom and was amazed I couldn't pick apart more. (meaning the neg. things I had heard previously)The second day I found my self crying alot along with my row of co workers. God's presence evident and the Holy Spirit touching many hearts. Especially the message delivered by Craig Groeshel of Edmond, OK. (www.lifechurch.tv)This was on experiencing a church that had "it". What "it" was and how to get "it". Some call it the presence of God, others anointing, some not knowing what to call it just knowing when you DON'T have "it". It all boiled down to our desperation for Jesus and to be more like Him, show His compassion more and on and on. We had a extremely open time with our pastor afterwords, talking about the church if we "had it". After that my heart was touched. The last session was about making a difference and living out a relentless faith in God. Ending with a powerful song about God come to our city and pour out your spirit! Showing pictures of the cities and countries. My heart is like a wild flame when you start talking about different nations. If travel was easier I would live on a jet plane and go country to country with my kids-doing God's work. So my tears ran and all I could stand and think was -Salt Lake City-, God is going to pour out over you! And I am so privileged to get to be a part.
All this spiritual work done in my heart thru an organize many have criticized. Maybe some of those criticisms are true. But I do know that this little Pentecostal (tongue talker ..lol) walked away very changed. Impressed and truly touch by what that church had done.
Maybe it is time to think over the preconceived ideas, the invisible walls of comfortable pride, and let down the gate to your heart and see WHO God chooses to minister into your life. It most likely will shake the walls down and blow your mind, I guess that is God's point to it all.
Many have asked what I have been thinking and you got it.It's mostly about the interesting journey of going into a new church from a different "stream". Finding my place,and finding out who I am in Christ- not having any pretense to hide behind. This is truly a wild experience for me. I am not uncomfortable but have been thoroughly taken out of my comfort zone. Again-God has got a meaning for each step-who knows what's next!!!
2 comments:
Well said! I couldn't agree more. I've had similar experiences in my life where I've been thrown into a group of people who love Jesus, but were different than me and my upbringing. Shockingly enough...I found the same things..they love Jesus too and long to share His message with the world.
Do you think we could go in together on a plane and minister together? Between us, we will have 6 (almost 7) little missionaries!
Wonderful Tammy! :)
Post a Comment